Amid the UK’s plans to go fully carbon neutral by 2050, Birmingham Airport has recently unveiled plans to beat this target by 2033.
Since 2013 Birmingham has lowered its total emissions by 33%, but now the airport has announced that it wishes to go further and explore the possibility of having further renewable energy forms installed at the airport. In the past, the airport has overseen the installation of 200 solar panels that have the capacity to produce 40,000 kWh a year (enough for 12 average sized homes). But with these new targets, Birmingham Airport intends to increase this figure given the growing concerns regarding climate change and the Extinction Rebellion protests.
3 members of a family arriving back in Birmingham Airport have been arrested for trying to smuggle cigarettes through the airport.
The family used 15 suitcases in an attempt to transport the tobacco products, which resulted in each of them receiving suspended sentences following an investigation by HM Revenue and Customs. Continue reading…
ABB, in partnership with Volvo Bus and Birmingham Airport have launched a new environmentally friendly passenger transport alternative that will feature on-site at their airport. Beginning officially in November 2019, it will be available to the airport’s 13 million passengers as well as retail staff and airline crew. The service will introduce 6 Volvo 7900e fully electric buses, with low emissions single-deck services. Continue reading…
Jet2, the leisure airline operating from Birmingham Airport, have announced plans to create 120 new job positions after making the decision to take ground crew roles in-house. As a result, ramp management, ramp agent, baggage loader and dispatch positions have all become available for next summer as new fixed-term permanent positions.In addition to these roles, Birmingham Airport are also looking to hire passenger service agents, who would be responsible for maining high levels of customer satisfaction through services at the airport. All staff would also be responsible for ensuring that flights depart safely and on time.
Approximately 40 jobs will be made available at Birmingham Airport after Azzurra Premiere Handling takes over operation of baggage handling contacts on site. Azzurra Premiere Handling, who already operate at Manchester and Heathrow airports, accepted the six-figure investment to become the second ground handling business operating at Birmingham Airport. The baggage handling company has already secured contacts with BMI Regional and Brussels Airlines, providing a large number of services including check-in, boarding, baggage handling, push back and aircraft cleaning.
British Airways are making a comeback to Birmingham Airport with the implementation of 4 new summer-exclusive routes to popular European hotspots. Beginning in May, the airline will kick off its service jetting to Malaga, Ibiza and Palma and to the Italian city of Florence from Birmingham Airport flying once a week at weekends.
A huge amount of credit goes to Birmingham Airport as it has officially claimed the title of Britain’s Fastest Airport! After fighting off fierce and close competition from the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow Airports, Skyscanner revealed that impressive 37% of passengers travelling through Birmingham Airport reached their desired gate in under 15 minutes. Top 5 were ranked as Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol and Heathrow respectively. The sample taken from each airport looked at over 200 passengers travelling through the top 10 most popular UK airports.
Birmingham airport has reported a great start to the calendar year with substantial passenger growth on both short and long haul flights. The airport based in the midlands saw passenger levels increase by 9% last month compared to the same period last year, as well as being the busiest January on record. It handled 666,681 passengers in January, an increase of 55,000. A further positive is that demand for seats has increased on short haul trips, and more noticeably, it has seen a big growth on long haul flights which saw an 18% increase on January 2014.
The CEO for Birmingham Airport Paul Kehoe said: “This is an excellent start to the year and it means we are now celebrating our eleventh consecutive month of record breaking passenger figures.”
“2015 was a good year here at Birmingham Airport, overall we handled 10.2 million passengers – the most we’ve ever recorded in our 75 year history.”“We expect the coming 12 months to be successful as we welcome more airlines to the flourishing Midlands region. This Easter alone will see us introduce Qatar, CSA, Iberia and Blue Air to Birmingham as well as the introduction by Emirates of its A380 aircraft.”
Scheduled traffic in January accounted for almost 90 per cent of the total, with charter passengers accounting for the remaining 10%.